Wednesday, August 25, 2010
In 2003, a few of us founded SupplyScape Corporation (the predecessor to TraceLink, Inc.) with a simple vision. We believed that the next wave of enterprise value generation was in integrating people, processes and information between companies. Our focus and core competency to the industry was to provide the integrative network for supporting the rapid selection and deployment of multi-enterprise applications. Today we express our mission as:
“TraceLink is Creating the Predictable Supply Network by Executing Any Business Process with Any Partner at Any Time.”
This month we announced our strategic partnership with Patheon, Inc. to promote supply optimization in Life Sciences. In our deep collaboration with the executive team at Patheon, we identified a number of immediate value propositions for Multi-Enterprise integration between contract partners and their customers. We have seen these core value propositions validated by every Pharmaceutical and Biotech company we are engaged with on building the Predictable Supply Network.
These value propositions can be classified into 5 areas:
- Transactional Integration: This is the basic level of integration that allows for business documents representing inter-company transactions to be executed seamlessly. It is always surprising how hard it is to get large and small companies integrated into a common protocol and harmonized data sets to conduct business.
- Data Synchronization: Beyond transactional documents there is a need to share information about process status, inventory disposition and goods flow between companies. Today teams on both sides are constantly generating reports from one system and sending it to the other company in order for it to be keyed into their system. Cost of labor and inaccuracies impacts execution and planning.
- Synchronization Frequency: The use of manual processes limits the frequency at which information is exchanged. Monthly snapshots are the norm and weekly are the best one can envision. The ability to automate daily or event based synchronization of information provides both companies an advantage in managing demand and fulfillment. Predictability of supply has an immediate top line effect on revenue as well as a bottom-line effect on inventory costs.
- Shared Visibility: Too often planners and production managers are looking at separate systems with different versions of the truth. With the TraceLink solution the network synchronizes the harmonized information into shared visibility that is available to teams from both companies. We are able to link and analyze the information and the application is shared between the companies.
- Ad-hoc Collaboration: Teams need the ability to share documents and notes in order to efficiently execute in a dynamic marketplace. Each team we work with always has a need that cannot be adequately captured through a structured business process. Therefore they need to be able to exchange notes and documents representing instructions, documentation, artwork and many more pieces of information that cannot be categorized a priori.
In order to ease the adoption and maximize the value, we agreed to build an SAP Adapter to integrate SAP implementations with the TraceLink network. Patheon will work collaboratively with us to define and develop the SAP Adapter. This will be of significant value for the industry since SAP is the largest installed base of ERP implementations and the clear leader in the top 50 Pharmaceutical and Biotech companies.
The value propositions represented here are just the tip of the iceberg. In all our collaborations with the industry, we can easily identify more and more business process integrations that will drive higher and higher value. I compare where we are today with where SAP was 30 years ago. The initial value of SAP was to consolidate the information and reporting from a single general ledger. ERP was built from those roots.
The Predictable Supply Network is being built on these five foundational value propositions stemming from our Multi-Enterprise Application.
- FDA Publishes DQSA Implementation and Guidance Timeline
- FDA Publishes DQSA Data Exchange Information Request
- Brazil ANVISA public meeting on drug serialization, tracking system set
- Brazil Finalizes Pharma Serialization and Tracking Regulation
- FDA Drug Quality and Security Act Stakeholder Discussion Notes
- H.R. 3204 Passes Senate, Drug Quality and Security Act to Become Law
- H.R. 3204 Drug Quality and Security Act Readied for Senate Vote
- US Federal Serialization, Track and Trace Legislation Passes U.S. House
- Amazon AWS Issue Highlights Need for Well-Designed Cloud Software
- Senate Posts New Pharma Serialization, Drug Traceability Draft